How We Helped Walking Mountains Re-Engage Over 3,000 Contacts and Optimize Their HubSpot Usage
Walking Mountains Science Center is an environmental learning center in Colorado that aims to inspire environmental stewardship by helping people explore nature and natural science. They had been working with HubSpot Marketing Professional for years, but they felt they weren’t using the platform to its full potential. They were also experiencing difficulties with their email campaigns.
Forge Apollo provided Walking Mountains with the following:
- HubSpot consulting that included:
- Meeting to discover their use case, pain points, and goals
- In-depth evaluation of their portal usage
- Document detailing suggestions to solve their platform pain points
- An email campaign to re-engage “unengaged” contacts discovered during consultation
- The campaign resulted in 3,000 re-engaged contacts and counting
Forge Apollo’s consulting process with Walking Mountains was three steps.
We started with a discovery meeting in which our HubSpot expert asked questions to evaluate Walking Mountains’ top pain points and goals for the platform. After this meeting, we agreed upon a prioritized list of what to evaluate and offer suggestions on.
Walking Mountains’ primary pain points were:
- Email suppression, disengagement, and performance
- Feeling that they weren’t getting the most out of the platform or best leveraging their data
2. Portal Audit
In a specified block of time, our Hubspot expert evaluated Walking Mountains’ Hubspot portal and the information provided in the discovery call.
We thoroughly investigated their email health and performance issues, as well as the large number of contacts who had fallen “unengaged” by HubSpot’s standards.
We then looked through other key areas of their portal, including workflows and reporting, to evaluate their current use and how they could improve.
After identifying areas for improvement and crafting a plan, we provided a document with all of our suggestions and the opportunity for Walking Mountains to ask questions after reviewing our suggestions.
Our suggestions covered the following:
- How to increase email engagment
- How to improve email health and deliverability
- How to save “unengaged” contacts
- Opportunities to implement lead nurturing
- How to get more value from reporting
- Workflow organization tips
- Potential subscription change to save money
Sending emails to contacts unlikely to open can result in poor email deliverability in the future. Due to this, HubSpot marks contacts who don’t open a number of emails as “unengaged” and suppresses them in future emails.
As a result of our consultation, Walking Mountains decided to move forward with a re-engagement campaign to try to save some of their unengaged contacts.
Forge Apollo crafted a series of emails that called out contacts’ need to take action to remain on the mailing list and outlined the value that Walking Mountains’ emails provided. Each email included copy written with best practices and engaging graphic design.
We build this email series in an automated HubSpot workflow. After launching, the workflow will enroll any contact who has become unengaged to provide a long-lasting solution.
If contacts don’t engage with the campaign, Walking Mountains removes them from their email lists to protect their email deliverability.
The Results – 3,000+ Contacts Re-Engaged
Walking Mountains had about 9,500 unengaged contacts at the start of the campaign. From the initial launch, 3,000 of those contacts are considered “engaged” again by HubSpot’s standards and will rejoin email lists. This number will only increase as the campaign runs over time.